Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Why did God . . . ?

Tonight, I am giving a devotional lesson for 10 children with disabilities. I have decided to talk about the fact that we are created in God's image, and (tonight) to focus on the intentionality with which God has created each of us. The fact that He has gifted us differently and that He has created us as individuals.

My heart is heavy because I, myself, am unsure of why God would choose to have children born with disabilites. These children's lives are difficult enough, the fact that they have Down Syndrome, or Autism, or any other disability (which they are born with) makes their lives that much more difficult. I know the theological answer to why disabilities exist: Sin entered the world, and the entire fabric of creation has not been right since. However, that does not tell me why Ismael cannot speak, or why Ahmed lashes out violently when he is surprised. It does not help me deal with the actual existence of pain that is BORN into the world.

I am not talking about suffering that humans inflict on one another, or even natural disasters that kill and injure indiscriminately. I am talking about children who are born with a physical or mental difficulty that the rest of us do not have to deal with. I know I can talk about the idea that God has gifted each of us (including people with disabilities) and has created us intentionally. I even know that I can believe it to be true, but right now, I don't feel like it's true . . . this bothers me.

Basem

PS. Continuing the cheerful mood from above, here's a heartwarming story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home